Thursday, November 10, 2011

inspiration in san francisco: botanical rogues at the conservatory of flowers

Ok, I really really want to live in The Conservatory of Flowers! It was a) a beautiful building in the Golden Gate Park which b) is a beautiful park in itself and there was a drum circle on the front lawn and c) inside it was this crazy lush garden filling all corners, of all different species of plants and trees and exotic flowers from all over the worldl but also d) it all just looked so vintage and styled so cool in there PLUS e) there was an exhibit after a 'Bloomers heart...called Wicked Plants: Botanical Rogues and Assassins. All really pretty dainty plants, trees and flowers, displayed with the utmost vintage charm, but really, these beauties cause HARM, each in their own way, the little devils. It was such an interesting juxtaposition of concepts - seeing natural flowers so delicate and beautiful that are so dangerous. So here we go, I'm taking you through my pretty, styled journey of the Conservatory of Flowers...

Pretty building!

...and here starts the Wicked Plants Exhibits where I marveled at the design of the display...
...fun wormy brochure

Hee, be warned! I was actually nervous upon entering.

They had a vintage gramophone playing old crackly music too which was neat.

Okay! On to the scary mean fleurs...

Water hyacinths...so delicate..they are the little green delicate plants covering the tops of the water, but poignantly labelled CARNIVORES ..they will not let anything up out of the water...they drown things! buggers!


I liked their wooden signage too...




Even the Rubbertree is dangerous...but I forget why now :( But hey, this is what a Rubbertree looks like.

Anyone remember the book White Oleander? I loved that book...

Yummy vintage birdcages everywhere...eat your heart out Bloomers...





Sigh, it was so pretty and yummy in there.

BUT here were some pretties from the OTHER rooms in the Conservatory of Flowers too:



Rainforest lily pads - they are SERIOUS:


And, nerdy old me felt mesmerized by this shelf. Must be my artsy fartsy Mom Bloomer genes combined with my Scientist Dad Bloomer (with specimens in bottles) coming out of me in a form that makes sense finally!


Last but not least - a dahlia garden as you walk back outside...the colours reminded me of Amy and Kumbo's really cool wedding last September!


1 comment:

designs inspirations said...

You completed certain fine points there. I did a search on the subject matter and found mainly people will agree with your blog.